Sunday, September 27, 2009

The poor Pastor

In the news this morning I heard about a man that took out loans to go to school his interest was in ministry and went to seminary. After graduating from school he took several part time jobs that only paid minimum wage. After about three years he landed a job as a pastor of a chruch where he in his lifetime never earned more than $25,000 he lived below the poverty line in America. When he delivered his first sermon he was already in default on his loan. Hoping the problem would go away he has already paid double and owes more than the value of his loan. I believe it was reported that his loans will continue until the year 2026, the original loan was only $17,000... I certainly think that things need to be changed in regard to people and their ability to pay any loan but I have to wonder why in this story were certain details left out. In the midst of the article I learned that the man does have a retirement account, so money is being put aside for future needs, this is good, some pastors choose to rely soley on congregations that they have served and the generosity of others.

When needs exceed the ability of the people to give a lot of people will end up hurt.

I see a day coming that Pastor's and Preachers will wish that they had planned better for their future.

What I didn't see was his housing arrangements as anyone that rents or pays a mortgage knows housing can be very expensive and free housing is quite a benefit, it should be included as income to have housing and cars supplied by the congregation, this is a true asset and offsets the lower wages received. The other side of the coin is that a growing church in a growing community will provide for a Pastor quite well, so what I don't understand is how the man tripped and fell?

I'm fighting the good fight to pay all of my bills. I wish I was bill free, and I should be further ahead instead of behind as a result of another person's lie.

Poverty line
Submitted by gracepub on Tue, 07/10/2007 - 18:27.
I had a talk with my daughter about that. She wanted to pay $40 000 to become a vet's assistant and make the same wages she would working as a night supervisor in a local fast food joint. Stupid.
I would like to see this man's budget. I could probably tell you why he still owes on his loan.
I once knew a man raising 3 girls on $14 000 a year. He didn't owe a mortgage, and lived in a very rural area. The girls had 'enough' and dressed nice. When I asked how he did it (because my X was a project manager and I barely fed my 2 kids) This man said, 'I budget daily. Each day has $XX.xx to spend. When it is gone, I do not spend anymore.'
I have budgeted that way ever since. And, the funny thing is - about 4 years ago I attended a seminar where a business manager learned the same principal - IN HARVARD.....


preacher's salaries
Submitted by silken on Tue, 07/10/2007 - 19:01.
at least as far as I know, being married to a minister, are often hard to work with. we do have a comfortable lifestyle, but nothing as far as having cars, insurance or housing supplied for us-though a housing allowance is given for tax purposes. we have hardly anything saved for retirement. My husband had opened an IRA and we could only put in a small portion before our son was born. we lived without insurance or saving for the next 14 yrs. I think that last year was the first time since that we have been able to do that. It is hard.
I really like gracepub's suggestion. I've never budgeted daily.



Wrong Religion
Submitted by gracepub on Wed, 07/11/2007 - 01:07.
Either you are in the wrong religion, or the wrong country. The pastor down the road makes sixty thousand, plus house allowance, for a church with a 32 person membership.
The base amount in this religion is $45 000. I thought most people became pastors because they received a fixed income for working 2 - 3 days a week. - guess not.


24/7 for the preachers I know
Submitted by silken on Thu, 07/12/2007 - 20:47.
and when they are not in the office, out ministering, visiting the sick and needy, doing camps and bible studies, they are "on call" for the rest of the day....

I heard this story on NPR this morning as well..in debt preacher
Submitted by American Rhetor... on Tue, 07/10/2007 - 21:40.
Well I have so say I listened to this as well. The funny thing that stuck out for me was that this is a man of "God" who ignored his bills hoping they would go away..... Now I don't know about his religion but that is hardly something I would expect a preacher to do.... what's with that????
I know a lot of people who have had student loans. Yes it does make your life a bit slow on the starting line but the reason one goes to college is to get an education to be able to support ones self. Why in Gods name would he take a loan to get a job that wouldn't pay for the schooling? Not too bright if you ask me.. But you didn't....
Anyways, I never had a debt that just "went away" and I don't suspect many of you have either. Only "values" have taught me that you must take care of your debt. You make your own bed......
I guess this preacher was probably preaching "family values" and forgot about the rest of them... don't you know????

I do know, I have values also...
Submitted by TheGreatWhiteBuffalo on Wed, 07/11/2007 - 22:25.
I'd like to thank everyone that took the time to think about this or had listened to the story as aired on NPR...
Indeed I've found a couple of things missing, a slanted view being sold as 'the way' and yet I know differently.
I like the daily budget, I think we all live on a daily budget in one way or another. The budget was a big part of my computer program that I had designed. Something that we all need to watch, for some minute by minute, or day by day, for others it is a weekly, monthly or anual project. I'd love to never have to think about the budget again...


I preach in a fellowship in which every congregation is
Submitted by Familyfunandfaith on Wed, 07/11/2007 - 23:41.
autonomous and determines what it will pay the minister. Most of the places that I have had association with try to pay the minister as the median of the community, with the intention that the minister live like the people to whom he preaches. I do not know much about how denominational churches that have national organizations and structures for ministers.
My income includes a housing allowance for tax purposes. I am responsible for my retirement funds and insurance.
I believe it is improper, even sinful, not to pay your bills, especially if you hold yourself out to be a minister of God. If you sign your name to a contract, you have made a promise to repay the loan. If something happens that puts one in financial trouble, he should do all in his power to clear the problem even if it takes longer than originally expected.

FF and F...
Submitted by TheGreatWhiteBuffalo on Thu, 07/12/2007 - 19:38.
To me that is the golden rule, I always try to follow through on my promises. My word is my name and when I put my name to a contract that is free of bias and agree to pay a certain fee, the fee will be paid. That is how I was raised by my father. I have a good name and if I give you my word it is as good as my name. Contracts can be broken and things can change over time, but if you or anyone upholds their end of the bargain (contract) then I will uphold my end. At the same time if we are talking financial agreements and one falls upon hard times, the contract should be open for renegotiation. Many contracts are totally flawed when it comes to flexibility, many people end up extremely punished for minor breeches...


Back To:

  1. Social Sciences
  2. Organized Religion
  3. Indexing and Organizing My Writings and Posts



No comments:

Post a Comment